Edited Version | Hyderabad | 7th July 2020
“ A partial knee replacement is an alternative to total knee replacement for some patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. This surgery can be done when the damage is confined to a particular compartment of the knee” , Said by Dr Mir Jawad Zar Khan Sir , Sr Joint Replacement Surgeon and Managing Director of Germanten Hospital Hyderabad .
In the past, partial knee replacement was reserved for older patients who were involved in few activities. Now, partial knee replacement is often preferred in the younger population as their recovery is quicker and often with much less pain. About 5% to 6% of patients with arthritic knees are estimated to be eligible for partial knee replacement.
What is osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is the wearing away of the connective tissue, called articular cartilage, within the joint. Articular cartilage prevents one bone from scraping against another. The cartilage acts as a shock absorber in the joint and allows for smooth and stable movement within the joint. When the cartilage thins, the joint can inflame and you may feel pain and stiffness in the joint. Your range of motion may be limited.
How common is knee osteoarthritis?
Up to 30% of the population is believed to have knee osteoarthritis. Until age 50, knee osteoarthritis is equally common in men and women. After age 50, more women are affected.
What is a partial knee replacement?
In a partial knee replacement, only the damaged part of the knee cartilage is replaced with a prosthesis.
Who is a candidate for partial knee replacement?
Patients with medial, or lateral, knee osteoarthritis can be considered for partial knee replacement. "Medial" refers to the inside compartment of the joint, which is the compartment nearest the opposite knee, while "lateral" refers to the outside compartment farthest from the opposite knee. Medial knee joint degeneration is the most common deformity of arthritis.
Other factors to consider:
- You may want to consider a knee replacement if your knee pain persists despite your taking anti-inflammatory drugs and maintaining a healthy weight.
- Our doctor will ask you to identify the area of pain in your knee, then check your range of motion and the knee's stability. An X-ray of the knee will determine your eligibility for partial knee replacement. However, Our surgeon may not know for certain if you are a good candidate until the surgery has begun.
- You must have an intact anterior cruciate ligament, a sufficient range of knee motion, damage to only one compartment, and a stable knee. The angulation of the deformity is also considered.
- In the past, a partial knee replacement was considered only in patients older than 60 years who were sedentary but younger, more active patients are increasingly being considered.
Dr. Mir Jawad Zar Khan
MBBS, MS – Orthopedics (Gold Medalist – Osmania University),
M.Ch – Orthopedics (Usaim, Seychelles),
Fellowship in Knee Arthroscopy, Fellowship in Arthoplasty (Munich, Germany)
Dr. Jawad Khan, a veteran of two decades in the field of orthopedic surgery, has been at the forefront of introducing the latest medical technology in India.
Dr. Mir Jawad Zar Khan is an expert in the field of joint replacement surgery and introduced to India computer navigation and robot-assisted surgery. This navigation technologies are exact and can work using minimally invasive techniques. Naturally, patients at Germanten Hospital of Hyderabad are able to recover quickly and resume their regular activity.
There are many reasons why patients undergoing partial knee replacement are happier and more satisfied than the patients with total replacement
A partial knee replacement is characterized by:
- A more natural adaptation
- A better range of motion
- A faster recovery and a less hospital stay were found using a minimally invasive technique combined with a partial knee replacement.
- A higher percentage of patients have returned to sports with a low risk of impact and are able to walk for a more extended period.
At Germanten Hospitals there is available latest equipment to carry out advanced computer navigation assisted knee replacement surgery. You can receive the best care under Dr. Mir Jawad Zar Khan who is an expert in joint replacement surgery and has performed an extensive series of navigated hip and knee replacement surgeries in Germany.
The world’s latest treatments are available at Germanten Hospital, and these can provide you an active and pain-free life in as little time as possible.
Visit the best orthopedic hospital in Hyderabad India for advice about partial knee replacement and robotic knee replacement under the care of Dr. Mir Jawad Zar Khan.