Knee Joint Replacement Surgeon -Dr.Mir Jawad Zar Khan
Dr. Mir Jawad Zar Khan sirSenior Knee Replacement Surgeon tells that If you have a knee severely damaged by injury or arthritis, it would be painful for you to perform simple day to day activities such as walking or climbing stairs. You may even experience pain while you are even lying down or sitting.
He adds that Knee replacement surgery, also known as Arthroplasty can help relieve pain and restore normal function in severely damaged knees. When nonsurgical treatments like medications and using walking supports for knee problem is no longer not be helpful, you may want to consider this procedure (knee replacement surgery) as a remedy . Joint replacement surgery is a safe and effective procedure which helps relieve pain, correct leg deformity, and help you resume normal activities.
Four basic steps to a knee replacement procedure
- Preparing the bone:
- The damaged cartilage surfaces at the ends of the femur and tibia are removed along with a small amount of underlying bone.
- Positioning the metal implant:
- The space created after removal of cartilage and bone is replaced with metal components/implants that recreate the surface of the joint. These metal parts may be cemented or fitted into the bone
- Resurfacing the patella:
- The surface under the patella / kneecap is cut and is resurfaced with a plastic button. Some surgeons may not resurface the patella if not required, depending upon the case.
- Inserting a spacer :
- A spacer, which is medical-grade plastic is inserted between the metal components to create a smooth gliding surface.
Candidates for Surgery :
For total knee replacement surgery there are no age or weight restriction as such.
Dr Mir Jawad Zar Khan Sir ,India’s Top Knee Replacement Surgeon recommends surgery based on a patient’s pain, disability and discomfort. Most of the patients who undergo total knee replacement are aged between 50 to 80, but Dr evaluate patients individually. Total knee replacements are being performed successfully at all ages by Dr Mir Jawad Zar Khan, GERMANTEN HOSPITAL HYDERABAD, from the young teenagers suffering juvenile arthritis or major injury to the elderly patients with degenerative arthritis.
Common reasons for the surgery:
- Severe pain and stiffness makes it difficult for you to walk or climb stairs.
- Your have a swollen knee most of the time.
- Your knee is bowed or has other defects.
- Recurring knee pain bothers you even while sleeping or sitting.
- Physical therapy and medication haven’t shown any improvement.
Like any other surgery, Knee replacement also carries risks. They include
Like any other surgery, Knee replacement also carries risks. They include Infection :
- Blood clots in the leg vein or lungs
- Heart attack Stroke
- Nerve damage
After Surgery :
Knee replacement surgery provides relief from pain, improved mobility and a better quality of life for the patients. Most of the knee replacements can be expected to last more than 15 years.
You can resume most of the daily activities like long walk, light housekeeping in first week after surgery,
After recovery, you can engage in various low-impact activities, such as walking, swimming, golfing or biking. On the other hand, you should avoid higher impact activities — like jogging, skiing, tennis and any sports that involve contact or jumping. To know more about Knee Replacement and more talk to Dr Mir Jawad Zar Khan sir at GERMANTEN HOSPITAL, HYDERABAD.